The holidays are over, and now you’re faced with putting away decorations until next year. You may be tempted to get the chore done as quickly as possible. However, when it comes to removing Christmas lights and decorations from your home, you should consider your safety and the care of your home’s exterior.
Here are some tips to guide you through the process.
Tips for Taking Down Holiday Lights Safely
- Unplug lights and decorations before removal.
- Choose a ladder that provides a secure foundation and height. Be sure to have someone to help you keep the ladder steady.
- Do not pull on a light strand when removing them. This may damage your lights as well as your exterior.
- Take your time and thoughtfully remove each light strand and decoration.
- Avoid the removal of lights and decorations during wet or icy conditions.
- If you must walk on your roof to remove your lights and other decorations, tread carefully and wear appropriate shoes.
- Store your decorations properly in a dry space to avoid damage.
Planning a careful removal of your Christmas lights and decorations will extend the life of your decorations as well as protect your roof and exterior from damage.
If you find after the holidays that you lack the time or tools for light and decoration removal, please contact Landmark Exteriors. We offer services to help you take down your lights and decorations safely. We also offer quality roofing, gutter, and siding repair as well as a variety of exterior services for all seasons.