Are you enjoying the winter season? Aside from the beautiful snow and cozy days indoors, winter brings dangerous and frigid outdoor conditions that can leave you and your home susceptible to hazards and potential harm. Taking the time to ensure you are safe from any dangers, and your home is ready to protect you, and your family is crucial for getting through this chilly season.
Tips For Keeping Yourself Safe This Winter
It’s getting cold, and between the temperatures and dangerous weather, winter is a time you’ll want to be sure you’re doing what you can to keep you and your family safe from any dangers:
- Think about your health – Winter is flu season, so be sure you and your family are taking necessary precautions to stay healthy by getting immunized, washing your hands frequently, keeping your distance from others, and wearing masks when you leave your home.
- Bundle up – Keep yourself warm and cozy both indoors and outdoors by dressing appropriately and covering your extremities to avoid frost-bite and chills.
- Stay hydrated – Just like when the weather is scorching, you want to be sure you’re staying hydrated with lots of water throughout winter, especially if you plan on being outdoors.
- Watch for ice – Mind your steps when outside to avoid slipping on ice, especially on blacktop pavement where it may be hard to see.
- Handle snow removal safely – If you plan on removing snow from your property on your own, be sure to do so safely and protect yourself from injury.
- Be prepared for emergencies – Winter storms can lead to power outages or being trapped in your home for extended periods, so prepare ahead by gathering necessary supplies such as flashlights, batteries, food, water, blankets, winter clothing, charging devices for electronics, and more.
Tips For Keeping Your Home Safe This Winter
Your house is your biggest defense in staying warm and safe all winter long, so make sure your home is up to the task:
- Winterize your home’s interior – Be sure that your home is adequately insulated by checking for any drafts, weather-stripping doors and windows, and adding more insulation to attics, crawl spaces, or other areas that need it.
- Winterize your home’s exterior – Make sure your gutters are cleaned out, be sure your exterior water system is turned off and your pipes are secure and insulated, and fix any damage to your roof or siding before a serious snowstorm.
- Check your heating system – Have a professional look at your heating system if you have any concerns about how it’s functioning. As well, if you have a fireplace, have your chimney inspected and cleaned.
- Have your snow gear ready – Whether you’re using shovels or a snowblower to tackle the snow on your property, have them readily available for you when needed.
- Keep up with repairs throughout winter – If your home’s roof needs snow removed or is damaged, or there are damages to your siding or gutters, call a professional to make sure your home is properly protected and prevent further damage.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors – If you haven’t in a while, now is a great time as any to check your safety detectors and change their batteries.
HOME EXTERIOR CARE IN NORWALK, CT
Need help making your home and property look its best? The experts at Landmark Exteriors are here to help the outside of your home look and perform its best this winter season and all year long! Give us a call at (203) 838-3838 to learn more.