Too much snow and ice can seriously damage your roof, which is why it should be removed before any problems arise.
To help you eliminate the odds of structural damage this winter season, contact the pros at Landmark Exteriors! We can provide you with roof inspection and repair, gutter repair, snow guard installation, ice damming, and more! Contact us today at 203.838.3838.
Ah, slate roofs — they stand the test of time, while adding beauty and value to your home.
With slate roofs lasting over 100 years (if properly installed and maintained, of course), this material can certainly compliment an older home filled with rich history.
If you’re tired of the same old roofing options, then slate will be the perfect choice. Still not sold on the idea? Take a glance at some of the many benefits of this timeless roofing material:
- Variety is key, no matter what avenue you’re dealing with. Luckily, slate is available in a range of sizes, thicknesses, and colors. You’ll be able to pick the roofing tiles that work best for your particular home, so you can best complement other details of the exterior.
- They stand the test of time. Consider this: most roofs last 20 years before they’re in need of replacement. Slate, on the other hand, can last over a century — which makes it one of the best investments a homeowner could ever make!
- They’re virtually indestructible. Did you know, unlike other materials, slate tiles are totally fire resistant? Should a neighboring home catch fire or a stray spark from a firework were to hit your roof, you’ll be in the clear.
- They’re environmentally friendly. Fact: other roofing materials need replacement every 20 or so years, which leads to landfill waste. As you’ve read above, slate can last significantly longer, a wise choice if you’re looking to reduce your carbon footprint. Further, you may choose synthetic slate roof shingles which are made of 100% recycled rubber and plastic — win!
If you want to find out what a slate roof can offer your home, we’re here to help! Give us a call at 203.838.3838. We proudly serve homeowners in Fairfield and Westchester counties, as well as Long Island.
Your roof is there to protect you against the harsh weather of winter, as well as the heat of summer. If your roof is in disrepair, don’t wait until next season to address the problems — now is the time to get those repairs done.
Here are 8 common roof repairs you should make immediately:
- Roof leaks. If your roof is leaking now, get it fixed ASAP. The longer you wait, the more potential damage (like mold, mildew, and rot) the water is going to do to your home.
- Damaged flashing. Flashing is what keeps water from getting in around chimneys, vents, and skylights. If the flashing is damaged, water can enter your home (causing damage as mentioned in point 1).
- Clogged gutters. Gutters are meant to move water away from your home. If they become clogged, due to leaves and other debris, water will remain stagnant in the trough. This can eventually lead to overflow and cause your roof to rot, helping water seep into your home.
- Lifted shingles. Winds and other severe weather can lift shingles. If you have any shingles that are not flat against the roof, give us a call to assess any damage.
- Sagging roof. Your roof deck and ridge line should be straight. If there is any sagging, it’s a sign the roof is not structurally sound.
- Tree damage. Whether your tree is overgrown or simply battling against strong winds, it’s not uncommon for trees to break or fall, causing roof damage. If you notice a tree is a bit too close for comfort, consider calling a tree trimmer to minimize potential issues.
- Small animal infiltration. Small animals like squirrels, raccoons, and birds can take advantage of small openings and start nesting in your eaves and attics. Get the animals removed and the holes covered!
- Missing, cracked or broken shingles. One broken shingle may not sound like a problem, however, shingles work together to protect your roof! A single missing or broken shingle is a spot where water can get in.
When it comes to your roof, preventative maintenance is key! Don’t wait for something to become a major problem before you take action. Addressing issues now can save you headaches later — trust us, even your wallet will thank you!
For any roof inspection, roof repair, or rood replacement needs, contact the pros at Landmark Exteriors today.
The winds of winter are here, bringing cold rain and snow with them. The roof on your home is going to be the first to take the brunt of a Northeastern winter so of course, you’ll want it to be in tip-top shape. That’s why we recommend a proper roof inspection, now!
Why Get Your Roof Inspected Right Now?
Do you know what kind of shape your roof is in? Can it handle the season’s harsh weather? Trust us, the last thing you want to discover is a leaky roof in the middle of a storm.
Overlooking roof damage can lead to a whole slew of problems, such as:
- Costly and unplanned winter repairs! The last thing you want to do is have to pay for an emergency roof repair in the midst of a winter storm. Opting for a roof inspection now can ensure minor issues or weak points are fixed before they can develop into something more serious.
- Increased utility bills! In the colder months, you want to keep the warm air inside your home, right? Well, if you have any small holes in your roof, the opposite will happen! In addition to having water leak into the home, you’ll find warm air will escape, driving up your electric bill each month. Repairing these holes will stop leaks AND stop wasting energy, a win-win!
- Mold! More of a longterm problem, but mold and mildew growth can result from a leaking roof. Mold can spread into the home’s structure, making it a difficult and costly nuisance to get rid of! Not to mention the health issues that come with mold spore production.
Signs You Might Have Roof Problems
Still not convinced you need a roof inspection? Here are a few obvious signs:
- Curled, buckled, or missing shingles. Most roofs can last 20-25 years, with others even longer pending the material. However, if your roof starts deteriorating before its lifespan, it is time for repair or replacement.
- Sagging roof. A roof deck should be level and straight. If you see any dips in your attic, you have a problem.
- Outside light. If in your attic during the day you notice streams of light coming through, that means water can also sneak through those openings.
If your roof shows any of these signs, give us a call! Our pro roofers here at Landmark Exteriors are here for all of your roof inspection, roof repair, or roof replacement needs.