Homeowners often forget to think about a roof’s needs until it’s too late and there is a serious issue. However, proper care and maintenance can help ensure your roof stays strong for years to come. Are you thinking about getting a replacement done soon?
When Should My Roof Be Replaced?
Determining when a well-cared-for roof needs to be replaced will depend on the roofing material. Here is the general timetable for each type of roof:
- Asphalt shingles – 15-30 years
- Metal roofs – 25 – 35 years
- Copper roofs – 30 – 50 years
- Slate roofs – 50 – 100 years
- Cedar roofs – 18 – 25 years
Getting yearly professional inspections, fixing any issues as soon as possible, and getting any required maintenance done when it’s recommended will all help you extend the life of your home’s roof.
Signs Your Roof Needs Replacement
It may be time for a replacement if any of these are the case for your home’s roof:
- You have a leaky roof – Check the inside of your home, specifically the attic, for signs of leaking. Any leak, especially one that went untreated, will likely require a total roof replacement.
- Shingle problems – If you notice there are missing, curled, or cracked shingles, a repair is needed as soon as possible. If problems with shingles and granules are progressively falling off, a replacement will be required soon.
- Rot – A noticeably drooping or sagging roof will need to be replaced right away to prevent a collapse and further home damage.
- Your roof is turning green – Green patches on your roof aren’t a good sign. This means that moss, mold, or fungi have started growing because of trapped moisture, which can ruin your roof.
- It’s been a long time – Check your paperwork and see when it was that your roof was last replaced. If it’s past the average time that your roofing material lasts, it’s time to contact your local roofers for a replacement.
ROOF REPAIR AND INSTALLATION IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
If you’re looking to have your roof fixed or redone or your gutters replaced or cleaned, we’ve got you covered! The experts at Landmark Exteriors are here to help ensure your home’s roofing and gutter systems both look great and are functioning properly for years to come! Give us a call at (203) 838-3838 to learn more.