It’s no surprise that homes are expensive, and with such an investment, we want our homes to look good inside and out. Finding the right combination of exterior colors isn’t always easy, but it is crucial to keep your home’s exterior looking cohesive.
Choosing a Roofing Color
When selecting a roofing color, you want it to pair nicely with the siding of your home. The architectural design of your home is one of the most important factors to think about, as well as what kind of statement you want your home to make.
Here’s a list of tips and suggestions to help get you started:
- Lighter siding colors paired with a lighter roofing material will help make your home appear larger and more expansive.
- Lighter colors used on siding and roofing help exemplify architectural features.
- In general, medium tones paired harmoniously with siding and roofing will look good with almost every style of home, while not overpowering architectural details.
- A robust and dark roofing color paired with a more moderate siding tone will create a strong balance to the home.
- When wanting to blend the exterior colors of your home, using a light to moderate siding paired with a darker shade of the same color for the roof, the house will have a beautiful, finished look.
- Using complementary colors typically looks better than matching the siding and roofing colors exactly.
- Newer, contemporary homes look better and more intensified with varying tones of black and gray. It’s also good to make sure your gutters/trim don’t clash but help exemplify the colors you choose for siding and roofing.
Siding can dramatically boost the appearance of your home. Landmark Exteriors offers a variety of siding applications from horizontal to vertical siding, in various wood species and cuts. Our materials can be left unfinished to patina, or it can be installed pre-primed to be finished at a later date. Contact us today to turn your vision for your home’s exterior into a reality.
If you’ve noticed that the trim on your house has begun to rot, then it’s time to repair the damage before it gets worse. However, it is essential to work with a qualified company such as Landmark Exteriors to ensure the job is done correctly.
Signs You Need New Trim Boards
When we check our homes for damage, trim boards are probably not one of the first things that come to mind. Here are some signs to help you recognize if you have your trim boards are rotting:
- Boards have become swollen
- Boards are breaking or sagging
- Water seeps behind trim boards when it rains
- Fungi or moss is growing on the trim boards
- Wood is darker than the rest of the wood
- Trim wood is cracked, bubbling, or peeling
If you have noticed any of these signs, it’s best to call upon the help of a professional who can thoroughly inspect the damage and properly repair it. If your trim work is not correctly installed or additional damage is ignored, you will find yourself facing the same problem again. A professional company will not only repair the damage but adequately assess the job to ensure that all necessary repairs are completed. With the help of Landmark Exteriors, you can quickly reduce moisture infiltration, have rotting trim replaced, and even add gutters to your home if necessary.
Professional Trim Repair
When you work with an experienced professional, you can rest assured that your home will be thoroughly inspected at the edge of your roof before any further action is taken. This is important because the trim boards on your house are not just for decoration. On the contrary, they help reduce moisture infiltration, which in turn protects wood that has been used for framing and roofing. If you ignore the problem, then you will face far more extensive repair work in the future.
With the help of Landmark Exteriors, you can get your leaky roof repaired, repair damaged siding, and replace your rotten trim. All of these fixes are necessary to ensure your house will last for many years to come. Do not let mold and fungus take over your home; especially when there is qualified help is just a phone call away.
Fall in Connecticut is one of the best times to enjoy outdoor activities, not to worry about home maintenance. Leave the fall clean up to the professionals! The best way to prepare your roof for everything fall may throw (literally and figuratively!) at it is to have your roofing professional perform the following tasks:
You’d be surprised what debris can get caught up in your gutters. It’s important to have all tree branches, plants, toys, and any other debris removed from your roof. Even small objects can cause a major problem with your roof and gutters. Take time now, before the weather drops and snow comes!
Clean Your Gutters
After you remove any debris, your gutters should get a good cleaning so they can keep doing their job without any obstructions. When our gutters become full of leaves or other debris, this clog can cause water to pool on your roof. This moisture can eventually run the risk of seeping under your shingles and entering your home. Without debris, your gutters will keep flowing and have no issues when rain and snow come their way.
Check for Leaks
If your attic is properly insulated, you may think that you’re defended against leaks. However, you should still take time to check for leaks. Not only can leaks left unfixed cause you to have to spend more on repairs, but they will pose a threat to your home’s structure. Have your roofing professional check for leaks now, and avoid having to do the repair in the colder, snowy months.
Schedule an Inspection
The summer sun can make your roofing materials swell, shift, or even crack from the heat. It’s best to get an inspection as the weather starts to cool off to ensure you won’t encounter any problems during months of snow, ice and harsh temperatures. A professional inspection this autumn is essential for identifying areas of damage. Contact our professionals at Landmark Exteriors to schedule a maintenance and inspection appointment.
Saying goodbye to summer is always sad, but fall has so much to offer — especially in Connecticut! Here are a few of our favorite local activities for you and your family this autumn:
Take the Kids Apple Picking
To find the perfect apples to bake with and much on this season, try picking your own! Your little ones will have fun picking their very own apples, which may just inspire them to snack on something healthy, too! Here are our top locations nearby:
Pick Your Own Halloween Pumpkin
No matter the age, everyone LOVES pumpkin picking! You can go searching for the perfect pumpkin to take home and carve or place on your porch at these nearby farms and locations:
Attend a Fall Festival
- For carnival rides, a challenging hay maze, food, live entertainment, and more fall activities, attend the New Canaan Nature Center Fall Fair from October 4-5.
- Enter in a bit of friendly competition at the Greenwich Historical Society Fall Festival’s scarecrow competition, and enjoy great music and vibes while you work on October 12.
- If you want to go for a long, relaxing drive and chow down on some of the best chowders in New England, don’t miss Chowder Days at Mystic Seaport from October 12-14!
Fall has rustic vibes, which makes antiquing the perfect fall activity! Discover your new favorite decor piece, or short through artifacts from the past at the Fairfield County Antique & Design Center!
Visit a Haunted House
There’s nothing spookier than visiting a haunted house in the fall! For some serious frights, check out one of the most unique haunted traditions in New England at the Legends of Fear – Fairview Tree Farm, or visit Fright Haven, the largest and scariest indoor haunted attraction in Connecticut!
Take a Hike
With crisp cool air and beautiful fallen leaves, Autumn is one of the best times of year to go for a hike in Connecticut. Here are some of our favorite places to get out and enjoy all that nature has to offer:
- North End Norwalk River Valley Trail
- Oyster Shell Park
- Devil’s Den Preserve
- Wilton Town Forest
Whatever fall activities you embark on this fall, we hope you enjoy all this season has to offer!
While you’re celebrating the autumn season, let us prep your home for the cold weather that’s coming. Contact Landmark Exteriors for all of your home exterior maintenance, from roofing to siding and gutters!