Choosing the best roofing material for your home is no easy task. There are many important factors to consider including price, maintenance, safety, and look.
More and more homeowners each year are more selective when choosing a roof to match the rest of the house’s aesthetics, and one of the more popular choices is copper. With more than just good looks, this metals shiny, pristine finish, copper offers many benefits when considering a roof’s function.
Your roof is there to protect the rest of your home. Here’s why you may want to consider choosing copper for your roof:
Pros of Copper Roofing
Copper is truly a unique choice for roofing on your home, but there are plenty of other advantages to this roofing material:
- Aesthetic appeal – Copper roofs are genuinely one of a kind and will set you apart from all other homes. Their bright, shiny, smooth appearance offers timeless beauty and can elevate historic homes or accentuate the modern feel for a contemporary house.
- Minimal maintenance – Roof maintenance can be costly and time-consuming. Still, unlike other roofing materials, copper will not rust or corrode or require any additional re-painting and coating during its lifespan.
- Long-lasting – Copper is considered the longest lasting roofing material and will remain looking impeccable for centuries!
- Safety in severe weather conditions – Snow, wind, rain, heat, and more severe weather can cause a lot of damage to a roof. Copper roofing is an excellent choice as it can withstand these harsh conditions better than most other materials.
- Fire-resistant – Copper roofing will never catch fire and can even help stop a fire from spreading.
- Lightweight – Consider copper roofing if you are looking for a lightweight material that will not put pressure on the structure of your home.
- Increased home value – Planning on selling your home soon? A copper roof will undoubtedly increase your home’s resale value and helps offer a competitive advantage over similar properties.
- A sustainable material – Copper is an excellent choice if you are looking for a material that is more environmentally-friendly since copper is easily reused or recycled.
Cons of Copper Roofing
While there are many amazing benefits to copper roofing, there are a few cons that you should be sure to consider when making your roofing material decisions:
- Price – Being a premium roofing material does come with the expected premium price tag. Copper roofs are certainly one of, if not the most, expensive roofing materials to choose from and is an investment.
- Noise – Especially if the roof is installed over an open frame, the metal does not buffer noise as well as other materials.
- Occasional repairs – Though maintenance and repairs are not needed frequently, it is possible that in a case of sudden weather changes, that the fasteners can become loose from the copper expanding and contracting and require repair.
Copper Roof Installation in Connecticut
Ready to get a copper roof, or is another option better for you? The experts at Landmark Exteriors can install any roofing material you want and help with any repairs. Give us a call at (203) 838-3838 to learn more.