If you’re looking to get a unique, timeless, and high-quality roof for your home, slate roofing tiles may be just what you need! Along with the many positives that make slate tiles an intriguing option for your home’s roof, there are some additional considerations, as for any roofing material, you’ll want to take into account.
Here’s all you need to know about slate roofing:
The Advantages of Slate Roofing
Investing in slate roofing for your home has some major upsides, mostly because it’s a natural stone product that is sure to make your roof stand out. Take a look at all the amazing pros to entice you to choose this roofing material:
- Beauty – One of the main reasons homeowners want to use slate tiles for roofing is its beautiful and unique appearance. No other roofing material has a classier, more regal and timeless look. Also, slate tiles can be found in varying sizes, thicknesses, and colors including gray, green, purple, black, red and mixed so you can get the perfect look for your home.
- Long-lasting – Most roofing tiles, particularly the most popular type, asphalt shingles, are made to last between 20 and 30 years before needing to be replaced. A slate roof, however, can last for well over a century if properly constructed.
- Fire-resistant – Slate tiles are among the most fire-resistant roofing options, which is essential in keeping your home and family safe. Unlike other materials, slate is entirely fireproof on its own, so you can feel confident your roof won’t catch on fire from wildfires, fireworks, adjacent house fires, and more.
- Environmentally-friendly – Roofing waste accounts for about 5 percent of the total waste in landfills in the United States each year. This natural stone, while incredibly long-lasting, is a great option to minimize any environmental impact.
Additional Considerations When You Choose Slate Roofing
Just like any roofing option, there are several negatives you may need to consider before deciding on slate tiles for your home. Be aware of these cons before choosing slate for your home’s roof:
- Cost – Because of its longevity and it being a high-quality natural stone, slate tiles are more expensive than other roofing materials. The installation cost will also be higher since fewer people are aware of how to install it properly.
- Requires Expertise Installation – Slate roofing is less common than other roofing materials, and many roofing companies don’t have the necessary skills and knowledge to install slate tiles properly but they may try anyways. Be sure that you hire a roofing team with plenty of experience and solid references from past slate roofing installations.
- Maintenance and Repairs – If, for any reason, slate tiles are damaged, cracked or fall, replacing them calls for careful attention and a specific skill set.
- Weight – Slate roofing is much heavier than other roofing materials. Slate tiles can range between 800 and 1,500 pounds per 100 square feet, so you must have your house inspected for structural stability prior to installation.
If you have more questions or are interested in slate tiles for your roof, make sure to call a trusted team of professionals to get you what you need.
ROOFERS IN FAIRFIELD, CT
Interested in slate roofing or need a roof replacement or repair? We’ve got you covered! The experts at Landmark Exteriors are here to help ensure your roof both looks great and functions properly for years to come! Give us a call at (203) 838-3838 to learn more.